Increasingly strict requirements have made serving the K-12 segment even more challenging. Fortunately, beans are an option for your school menu that many kids like and can be served in ways that get them eating…and they pass the “healthy” test, too.
Here are a few suggestions that can help “spill the beans” into your menu:
REFORMULATE: Are you already serving a salad? Add Garbanzo Bean Ranch Crunchers and you have a new look and something that will get them eating more of it! Are you already serving tacos or nachos? Add Black or Pinto Beans to give them the nutrition they need!
ADD AS A SIDE: Are you already serving a hot dog? Add Baked Beans as a side!
NEW MENU ITEMS: Are your kids in need of something new? Try adding new items featuring beans! Check out our list of K-12 school recipes for some fresh ideas!
RANCH CRUNCHERS Yield: 8 oz
8 oz Bush’s Best Low Sodium Garbanzo Beans (952240)
1/2 oz Ranch Mix (581190 or 503100)
1 ½ Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Drain, rinse and dry garbanzo beans.
3. Toss with olive oil and ranch (or seasoning of choice). Place evenly on sheet tray while being careful not to overfill.
4. Roast in oven approximately 15 minutes, tossing once with a spatula while being careful not to smash the beans.
CHEESY BAKED BEANS & SAUSAGE POTATO PIE Yield: 18 servings | Serving Size: 9.5 oz portion
#10 can Bush’s Best Bean Pot Baked Beans (600190)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 each Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Thyme, leaves
2 lb Ground Turkey, cooked
1/2 cup Beef Broth made with Custom Culinary
Gold Label Low Sodium Beef Base (500021; 501770)
8 oz Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
5 lb Basic American Foods Potato Pearls Smart Servings Mashed Potatoes (602960), prepared
1. Preheat convection oven to 350°F.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
Add onions and thyme. Sauté until onions are transparent.
3. In a 2 inch full size hotel pan, combine baked beans, sautéed onion mixture, cooked turkey and beef broth.
4. Spoon and spread mashed potatoes over beans, then cover evenly with cheddar cheese. Bake covered with plastic wrap and aluminum foil for 45 minutes.
5. Remove aluminum foil and plastic wrap and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into 18 slices. Keep hot and serve as needed.