Carpet can be a great flooring choice for your food service facility if you choose it wisely and take care of it properly. Here are some benefits and steps to proper carpet care to think about as you contemplate flooring options or evaluate the carpet you currently have in your establishment:
Six benefits to using carpet:
- Design Flexibility:There are thousands of carpet styles and colors to create the type of environment you want in your building, from calming to eclectic.
- Noise Reduction: Many buildings today have a more open concept, which can lead to a lot of distracting noise. Carpet helps to absorb sounds and improves acoustics.
- Cushions Slips & Falls: People tend to slip more on hard floor surfaces than on carpet, and if there is a fall, the carpet cushions the fall, minimizing injuries.
- Provides Warmth & Comfort: Carpet provides insulation and thermal resistance. It retains warm air longer, providing energy conservation in colder climates. It also provides a warm and homey feel.
- Lower Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): Carpet is the lowest emitter of VOCs as compared to other floor choices, and it requires fewer cleaning chemicals. It also helps to trap allergens and other particles so they can be vacuumed away, which improves indoor air quality.
- Money Savings: Carpet can save you money over time versus other flooring types…IF you properly maintain it.
Five steps to proper carpet care:
- Vacuum regularly…and more frequently in high-traffic areas.
- Clean spots and spills quickly.
- Use encapsulation cleaning to more thoroughly clean and lengthen the amount of time between deep cleaning.
- Deep clean every 12-18 months and more frequently if needed.
- Stop dirt at the door by having the proper type and amount of matting at entryways.
Six steps to encapsulation carpet cleaning:
Encapsulation cleaning is a newer-concept, low-moisture, interim carpet cleaning method that cleans carpets with minimal water, chemicals and labor.
- Pre-vacuum carpet.
- Apply encapsulation cleaning product to the carpet using a pump-up sprayer.
- Allow 2-5 minutes (depending on produce specifications) for the cleaner to loosen soils.
- Agitate the surface with the recommended equipment.
- Allow 30-60 minutes for the carpet to completely dry. An air mover can be used.
- Vacuum carpet after drying.
Looking for more information about Martin Bros. and how to become a customer?
Martin Bros. is the leading food service distributor in the Midwest offering an extensive inventory of food products, kitchen supplies, janitorial and cleaning supplies, large equipment, small wares and medical supplies. Contact us to see how we can make a difference in YOUR business!