Bakery products are usually considered impulse buys, which means that most customers stopped for gas and/or entered the store without the intention to buy a cookie, for instance. These impulse buys can profit your convenience store, with profit margins averaging about 50%.
Below are six ways to move more bakery items and profit through the “baked goods impulse”:
1. Choose from a wide variety of bakery items, such as donuts, cookies and brownies, which can be sold at all hours of the day.
2. Create price promotions, such as buy two items, get one free, to ensure that all items are sold each day.
3. Offer a new bakery item and coffee product for a special price, which will help introduce new items to customers as well as increase your chances of repeat sales.
4. Promote your baked goods on pump toppers.
5. Place baked good displays beside the cash register. It’s a great impulse location because customers must stop there to pay, and they usually have some time to look around while they wait for the cashier.
6. Bake warm cinnamon rolls in the mornings and warm chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon. If appearance and/or price alone don’t get them, the smell surely will.
As one of the leading convenience store suppliers in the Midwest, Martin Bros has the perfect bakery items to help you cash in on these impulse buys, including:
Or make your own baked goods using one of our c-store recipes created by culinary experts!